Principles for Leadership in Sustainable Purchasing
A Vision for Sustainable Purchasing
The Sustainable Purchasing Leadership Council was founded to enable purchasers, suppliers and advocates to engage with a shared definition of sustainable purchasing, in order to promote marketplace innovation that delivers broad benefits to customers, suppliers, employees, investors, other stakeholders, and to society at large. In order to focus and increase the positive impact of our shared mission, we define leadership in sustainable purchasing according to the following principles.
An organization demonstrates leadership in sustainable purchasing through:
- Understanding. Understanding the relevant environmental, social, and economic impacts of its purchasing.
- Commitment. Taking responsibility for the relevant environmental, social, and economic impacts of its purchasing by committing to an action plan.
- Results. Delivering on its commitment to improve the relevant environmental, social, and economic impacts of its purchasing.
- Innovation. Actively promoting internal and external innovation that advances a positive future.
- Transparency. Soliciting and disclosing information that supports a marketplace of innovation.
A full version of the Principles –including detailed explanations, and interpretations for non-purchaser stakeholders, including: suppliers of products and services; standard and certification developers; and public interest advocates – is available to SPLC Members.