Professional Development & Engagement
The Council supports professionals working on sustainable purchasing in a number of ways:
The Council’s program committees have codified a number of best practices in the Council’s Principles for Leadership in Sustainable Purchasing v1.0, Guidance for Leadership in Sustainable Purchasing v2.0, leadership case studies and a number of companion worksheets and other resources. Professionals relying on these resources can have the confidence that they were vetted by the purchaser, supplier, and public interest advocate representatives on the Council’s program committees.
(Videos and Slides available in Online Member Community)
- Streamlining Supplier Sustainability Evaluation & Engagement
- Smoke, Suicide & Slavery: The Social in Sustainable Procurement
- Material Ingredient Reporting
- Motivating Sustainable Procurement within Decentralized Purchasing
- Purchasing for Zero-waste
- Briefing: Executive Order 13693 and How It Is Being Implemented
- IT Purchasing: Addressing Worker Health & Safety, Energy Use, and Toxics
- Strategies and Tools for Purchasing Products with Safer Chemistries
- How to Identify Credible Sustainability Claims – A Training on the ISEAL Credibility Standards
- Final Webinar of UNEP 10YFP SPP Working Group 2B: Measuring the Impacts and Communicating the Benefits of Sustainable Public Procurement
- Public Release of SPLC’s Guidance for Leadership in Sustainable Purchasing v1.0
- How to participate in SPLC’s Guidance v1.0 Pilot Program
- Protecting Human Rights in Supply Chains through Procurement:
Lessons for the Private and Public Sector from the ICAR Report
- The Global State of Sustainable Public Purchasing
- Perspectives on Sustainable Public Procurement in the EU
- Discussion of Draft EPA Guidelines on Standards & Eco-Labels
- GRI G4 & Supply Chain Sustainability
Member-to-Member Sharing Calls
These virtual discussions present a unique opportunity for members to share their leadership work, experiences, and challenges with one another. During a Sharing Call, two to three members kick-off the discussion by sharing 5 minute presentations about their work related to the topic. Other attendees are then invited to share their related work before general discussion begins. The facilitated discussion is designed to move the conversation from current challenges to future leadership opportunities and tie back to Council activities. Chatham House Rule applies.
- Recent Sharing Calls:
- Incorporating Sustainable Product Information into eCatalogs
- Motivating Sustainable Purchasing (Among procurement professionals and budget holders)
- Effective strategies for supplier engagements
- What are your goals for the New Year?
- Is ‘buying less’ always better?
- Experiences with Analyzing Impacts in Spending
- Future topics:
- Tell us what topics you would like to discuss with other members: Sharing Call topics survey
- Potential topics include procurement training, end-user behavior change, utilizing standards and labels, ingredient disclosure, engaging internal stakeholders, using life cycle costing, addressing greenwash, measuring success, avoiding sweatshops, and more…
Program Committees & Working Groups
The Council hosts a number of program committees and working groups that provide excellent peer-to-peer learning as well as opportunities to contribute expertise to the development of Council programs. Learn about current committees and working groups.
Peer-to-Peer Dialogue Groups
The Council hosts quarterly conference calls for peer-to-peer dialogues requested by SPLC members. If you would like to join one of these peer-to-peer dialogue groups or would like to initiate another one, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CPO Roundtable (Chief Procurement Officers and designated direct reports)
- Professionals Managing Supplier Diversity & Sustainability
- Chair: Joan Kerr, PG&E
Each year, SPLC’s Summit brings together hundreds of professionals who are working on advancing sustainability within procurement.
Multimedia Summary: PPT Slides, Videos, Photos, Organizations in Attendance
Multimedia Summary: PPT slides, Photos, Videos, Quotes
Members have expressed interest in meeting up with other members at events of common interest. Let us know events you will be attending and we will do our best to connect you with other members that may be attending the same event. We’ve hosted happy hours, meals, and other meet-ups at ISM, NIGP, IFMA, AASHE, NMSDC, and GreenBuild, just to name a few.
See also our Upcoming Presentations