Supplier Assessment Working Group
The Supplier Assessment Working Group (SAWG) is charged with helping SPLC members identify the best resources for guiding and assessing their suppliers’ enterprise-level sustainability performance in a way that is robust, credible, and actionable within a procurement context. In doing so, SAWG participants seek to promote broad utilization of best-in-class assessment tools and related services and tools. Convergence around these best-in-class tools will have benefits for suppliers and buyers because suppliers will have fewer places they need to report data, and buyers will find many of their suppliers already reporting to these tools.
The Supplier Assessment Working Group is responsible for:
- SPLC Framework for Assessing Supplier Ratings (Excel), which identifies credible enterprise-level sustainability performance ratings of organizations that are high quality, independent, impartial, and have procedures in place to protect against conflicts of interest; focus on relevant environmental, social, and governance issues; rate a substantial number of suppliers; and are appropriate for use in purchasing and supplier engagement. Recommendations developed via the framework can be found here.
- SPLC Framework for Assessing Enterprise-level Sustainability Certifications & Standards, which identifies enterprise-level certifications and standards (as opposed to product-level certifications and standards) that are suitable for use in procurement and supplier engagement programs. Recommendations based on the framework are being developed and published as part of the SPLC SUSTAIN℠ program.
In 2018, the working group is advising SPLC on the development of a Supplier Assessment Handbook, which will provide best practices for incorporating supplier sustainability assessment across an organization’s business processes, business software, and more.
SPLC acts as convener and manager of the working group. Subject to availability of funding and approval of the SPLC Board of Directors, SPLC expects to implement recommendations of the working group as part of SPLC’s overall portfolio of program activities. The Working Group operates under the direction of SPLC staff and the SPLC Board of Directors.
Working Group Tasks
- Support purchasers with best practices for incorporating sustainability assessment tools into their procurement and supplier relationship management processes.
- Support suppliers by identifying best-in-class resources for addressing areas of weakness revealed by sustainability assessment tools.
- Promote adoption of best-in-class sustainability assessment tools by buyers and suppliers.
Joining the Working Group
SPLC members are invited to apply for this working group:
Mode of Work
- Conference calls.
- Collaboration via email or online forum between calls.
- No in-person meetings.
- Chatham House Rule
Minimum Time Commitment
- Monthly 1 hour conference calls.
- 2 hours of offline work per month. Tasks may include responding to preparatory questionnaires, reviewing documents, doing outreach, attending a working call with a subgroup, or conducting research.
Working Group Eligibility Requirements
- SPLC members who would not have a conflict of interest may participate.
- Willingness to share openly – under Chatham House Rule – about previous and current sustainability-related supplier assessment efforts, including lessons learned.
- Participants must maintain an attendance record of 2/3 of meetings.
Working Group Application Process
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
- Working group members will be selected with an eye towards achieving:
- a diverse representation of sectors and organization types.
- a group with appropriate skills and sufficient volunteer capacity to accomplish the envisioned tasks.